HistoryBiographiesAncestral HomesGuillaume de FéliceFortunato de Félice LibraryFamily Tree

Ancestral Homes of the de Félice Family

Contents:
  • Palazzo de Felice, an 18th century palace in Grottaglie.
  • Torre e Palazzo de Felice, a baroque palace built into a medieval castle in Rosciano
  • Palazzo de Felice, a 16th century palace in Somma Vesuviana.

Palazzo de Felice
"
Palace of the de Felice"

Located in the Piazza Santa Lucia, Town of Grottaglie, Province of Taranto, Region of Puglia, in the South-East of Italy.

In the centre of the town of Grottaglie, there are 18 houses built during the 18th century. The largest of these is the Palazzo de Felice, which was built in 1767. It is built in the Baroque style of the day, with an imposing entrance of Corinthian columns, a balcony and porch. It was acquired by the town in the late 1980s, and now houses an art gallery, which opened in 2006.

 

Torre e Palazzo de Felice
"Tower and Palace of the de Felice"

Located in the Town of Rosciano, Province of Pescara, Region of Abruzzo, in the East of Italy.

The town of Rosciano is on a hill overlooking the valley of Pescara. This strategic position has had fortifications for over 2000 years, the earliest remains are of a Roman fortification, the foundations of which make up the base of the tower.

The tower is referred by the local residents as the "Torre dei Paladini.", meaning "Tower of the Paladins" - the Paladins being the foremost warriors of the court of Charlemagne at the end of the 8th century.

The present day castle was built in the 11th century by the Normans during their conquest of Southern Italy. The main tower has three floors with windows higher up and a very high base covered with river pebbles, to prevent attackers scaling it.

Since then, successive generations have contributed to the structure of the castle, the largest addition being the rectangular Palazzo de Félice in the 15th century. The remaining style is of a baroque palace completed in 1600. A wide flight of steps flanked by pilasters on the castle's southern face lead to many rooms from a large mezzanine floor. Its beautiful interior belies its military origins, as it was often used as a troop shelter.

 

 

Palazzo de Felice
"
Palace of the de Felice"

Located in the town of Somma Vesuviana, Province of Napoli, Region of Campania in the South of Italy.

The Palace was built in 1586 and owned by the Filangieri family until it was bought by the Marquises de Félice in 1811. At the time, the de Félice family were currently participating in a struggle against local banditry. In a similar manner to the Palazzo in Grottaglie (see above), it is located in the centre of the town, amongst similar houses of the local nobility.

The building is square and has a tower with the de Félice coat of arms carved into it, which overlooks an extensive garden and vineyards. Notable features include a large gateway flanked by columns and an ornate wooden door leading into the garden. A main well in the central courtyard provides water for the house and two others outside are used in wine production. The palace contains no less than three chapels, one of which displayed a 17th century Flemish painting of the crucifixion that was unfortunately looted during the Unification of Italy. The palace was seriously damaged during the Second World War, and is now partly used as a Rectory.

     

(c) 2008-2009 de-felice.org